Hugh Jackman, star of the next Broadway revival The man of music produced by Scott Rudin, said today that the company “is rebuilding the Music man Following Rudin’s decision to step down from active participation in leadership.
The statement, released by a spokesperson, is Jackman’s first since allegations of Rudin’s abuse of staff members were featured in a recent Hollywood Reporter article and subsequent outcry from the Broadway community. Jackman co-star Sutton Foster addressed the controversy last weekend.
Today, Jackman said in his statement: “I want to say how much I respect and applaud the people who have spoken about their experience working with Scott Rudin. It takes a lot of courage and strength to stand up and affirm your truth. It started a long overdue conversation, not just on Broadway and the entertainment industry, but across the workforce. The most important voice we needed to hear was Scott Rudin, he has now spoken up and walked away from the Music Man. I hope and pray that this will be a healing journey for all victims and the community. We are currently rebuilding the Music Man team and aspire to create an environment that is not only safe, but ensures that everyone is seen, heard and valued. This is something that is and always has been very important to me.
The $ 17 million Music man Revival is currently set to begin premieres at the Winter Garden Theater on Broadway in December, with a grand opening on February 10, 2022. Earlier opening dates had been canceled due to the Covid pandemic shutdown.
Last weekend, Foster said in an Instagram Live video that Rudin’s decision to forgo participating in the rebirth was “the only positive outcome.”